Diaper rash is caused by irritation of the skin from urine and bowel movements . Baby’s skin becomes sore and hurts when the diaper is wet or soiled. There are several things you can do to heal the diaper rash.
What to do
Do the following things several times a day:
1. Remove the baby’s diaper.
2. Clean baby’s bottom and all skin folds well with mild soap and water. Rinse skin well and pat dry.
3. Turn baby on his stomach with a folded diaper under him.
4. Let baby play on his stomach with his diaper off. The air helps dry and heal the rash.
5. You may apply a soothing ointment to baby’s bottom as ordered by your doctor.
6. If the rash does not improve, call your doctor.
Change the diaper as soon as baby wets or has a bowel movement. Gently wash and dry baby’s bottom every time you change his diaper. Keep diaper off as much as possible. Plastic pants or throw away diapers may make diaper rash worse. Try not to use these while baby has a rash. If the diaper has a strong ammonia odor, give the baby more water to drink between feedings. If the bowel movements are loose or runny, cut down on the fruit you give.
To Wash Diapers
Soak diapers in cold water. Then wash diapers in hot water using mild soap NOT detergent. Rinse well and dry. If rash continues, add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the last rinse, then dry the diapers well.
OR you may put one crushed tablet of Diaperine into 2 quarts of water. Soak clean diapers in Diaperine solution, then dry the diapers well.
If you have any questions please call your Pediatrician or the Emergency Room.